This page may contain affiliate links to outside products including the Amazon Associates program, from which I earn a commission on qualifying purchases. Read full disclosure policy here.
A white nectarine salsa with a subtle sweetness, earthy flavours and just a hint of spice. Excellent with fresh tortilla chips or served on chicken or fish.
This page may contain affiliate links to outside products including the Amazon Associates program, from which I earn a commission on qualifying purchases. Read full disclosure policy.
I didn’t use to make much in the way of salsas or dips/spreads. But looking at my archives, it seems that their existence has really increased in the last year. I mean, I did plenty of lemon curd, the occasional marmalade or chutney, and hummus but not a lot of other savory things. Not having many people in a household means that you just don’t go through that much, so unless you can preserve it for a month or two, most recipes make too much. But a few versatile spreads are nice to have on hand to add to a slice of bread with an egg when you’re rather tired.
I’m not fan of hot spicy things. It completely wipes out the rest of the flavours for me. I would rather taste my food than have my epithelial cells toasted. Yes, yes, many people say that spicy adds to the flavour, but not for me. So this is a mild salsa. The flavours are about the nuances of the sweet, earthy, sharp ingredients, with just a hint of spice. You can add more spice by including the jalapeno ribs and seeds and adding a bit more, but I would implore you to try it with less first to appreciate the other flavours.
And totally unrelated, but I finally got a good quality image of Brun doing her amusingly exasperating trick of opening the kitchen drawers and climbing in. Yes, she can open every drawer and cupboard in the kitchen. Creates a bit of chaos sometimes. I love my little monsters, but they can be very much in the way. At least she didn’t try to eat the cilantro while I was photographing it. For once.
White Nectarine Salsa
- 4 med/550g white nectarines just ripe, not soft
- ¼ med/100g red onion
- 2/80 g jalapenos
- ¼ + 2 tbs/14g fresh cilantro leaves
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbs/15ml lime juice
- Slice nectarines off the pit into medium/large chunks. Dice the red onion.
- For a milder salsa, slice the jalapenos, removing the seeds and ribs before dicing. For a spicy salsa leave the seeds and ribs in.
- Combine nectarines, onion, jalapenos, and salt in a food processor. Blend until coarse. Taste and add more jalapeno if necessary for your taste.
- Add cilantro and lime juice and continue processing until finely minced. Best served the same day.